1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C Fan/ 350°F, Gas 4. Line 2 baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
2. Sift the flour, bread soda, ginger and cinnamon into the bowl of a food processor.
3. Add the butter and blend until the mix resembles bread crumbs and then stir in the sugar.
4. Lightly beat the egg and golden syrup together, then add to the food processor and pulse to make a dough. Leave to chill for 15 minutes.
5. Roll out on a lightly floured surface to ½ cm thick. Cut out with gingerbread cutters and put on a baking tray, leaving a gap between them.
6. Bake for about 15 minutes. Leave on the tray for 10 minutes then move to a wire rack to finish cooling. When cooled decorate.