Source: Unilever 2011
Unilever Ireland Limited
How to Use Mould and Mildew Removers in Your Bathroom and Kitchen
No one likes getting mould or mildew in their house – not only is it unsightly and smelly, but it also can pose serious health problems for people with mould allergies, lung disease, or immune disorders. Moreover, recent academic studies have found that mould can make symptoms of asthma sufferers significantly worse and can actually cause asthma or allergic reactions. The kitchen and the bathroom are two of the most common places for mould and mildew in the home, as these are the areas where moisture and warm air are most likely to be produced – from activities like boiling your kettle, for example, or having a shower. Thankfully, getting rid of mould and mildew in these areas is relatively easy if you have the right tools. In addition to commercial mould and mildew removers, there are a variety of natural options available.
Using a Commercial Mould and Mildew Remover
Using a commercial mould and mildew remover is often the simplest option, as these sprays require no prior preparation and generally contain bleach as an active ingredient, effectively fighting and eliminating the spores that cause mould. A store-bought spray is therefore a great option for particularly severe areas of mould, or for those rushed for time.
When using such sprays, always remember there are a few safety precautions you should bear in mind:
Now that you’re safely protected, you should follow these easy steps to remove mildew and mould:
Using Other Mould & Mildew Removers
How to Remove Mildew and Mould from Towels
Mould and mildew thrive on fabrics, and the towels in your bathroom are therefore an obvious target. Again, combating this is relatively simple, and can be done with the aid of your washing machine and some vinegar. Simply:
Boil 2 ounces of sugar and a little water in a pan to make a sticky liquid. Pour this into empty jars or a dish and leave in the open where wasps will be attracted to sweetness. They go into the liquid to feed and can’t get out.
Soothe a Burned Tongue
If you have ever burned your tongue on a hot drink, or hot food, you will know how much it hurts. Sprinkle sugar on it and the pain will subside.
Mix equal parts of sugar and baking powder. Sugar attracts these horrible creatures and baking powder kills them.
Treat Insect Bites & Itchy Skin
For insect bites, make a paste out of baking soda and water, and apply as a salve onto affected skin. To ease the itch, shake some baking soda into your hand and rub it into damp skin after bath or shower.